The initial name of this department was Commercial department. It was set up in 1990 to organize commercial activities in Moscow metro.
Following the reorganization of the department in 1996 a Property and land use department was established.
At present this department consists of 2 divisions – Land use division and Property division.
The department is responsible for:
- legalization of property and land use relations with the Property department of Moscow, Land use department of Moscow and other land-users;
- development of proposals concerning the efficient use of metro property;
- drawing up contracts for commercial activities on the territory of metro;
- dealing with organisations working on the territory of metro;
- metro property certificate;
- interaction with prefectures concerning the use of the territories adjacent to metro.